Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh boy, another three hour evening spent exploring and trying to decide what I would use and what I could or would recommend or use at the library/workplace (I do know that I have created a monster of a toolbar on both computers that I use, and I am going to have to seriously edit and organize my bookmarks/Delicious).

Howsoever, I tried and explored Picasa and think I would almost prefer it to other photo applications that I have tried. Of course it's only after one trial run, but it seems to be fast and organized and intuitive and more friendly to me than Flickr. I would give it "stars" to patrons looking for something free and fun for photo management.

Definite "STARS" to My Heritage for a simple way to get started building a simple family tree and dipping your toe into geneaology. Very friendly and I found it engaging and possibly addictive. I have personally managed to avoid the lure of tracing roots, but it was fun to spend a little time trying out the creation of a basic 3 generation family tree. Maybe not the best for the professionals that come searching the microfilm, but why not?

Etsy was just fun; there are patrons and acquaintances that I will send to this site for pure entertainment and the thrill of finding odd and unusual.

I also took a brief look-see at several other locations: Vufind, Imcooked, .docstock, Hairmixer. I can see value in using the website of the Web 2.0 Awards as an interesting printout or posting at the public access computers for patron information.

This was another seemingly simple, one sentence assignment that took us off in a multitude of directions. Once again I feel like my brain is overloaded - too much information. The sponge needs more time to absorb and process; but it will float back up I'm sure.

No comments: